Friday, March 14, 2008

The Emergency Room, The Doctor's Office, and Two Nights in the Hospital..........ALL IN ONE WEEK!

What a week! That is all I can say! This past week was one of the most traumatic experiences that myself, Ryan, and especially Charley have had to endure. Monday evening Charley began vomiting and screaming non-stop. After about two hours of this, Ryan and I decided to call Urgent Care and based on Charley's symptoms, we were advised to take her to the ER. I will spare you most of the details, but Charley was given an IV to help replenish her fluids. She also had an X-ray taken of her lungs. After seven more hours in the ER, Charley was diagnosed with Pneumonia and sent home. Since Charley had been vomiting, I was advised to give her only clear liquids the following day and then follow up with her doctor on Wednesday.

We finally returned home and Tuesday was a pretty normal day. In addition to her liquid diet, I did allow Charley to have some saltine crackers. I was so glad that Charley was back to normal.

Wednesday morning I went in to get Charley ready for her doctor's appointment and she was almost unresponsive. She was unable to stand while I dressed her and could barely keep her eyes open. I immediately put her in the car and we headed to the doctor. Once we arrived, her doctor could clearly see how sick Charley was and ordered several tests. All of the labs came back normal except for her hydration levels. Her hydration level was only at a 12 and a normal level is anywhere between 25 and 35. Her blood sugar had also dropped to a dangerous level. Charley's doctor decided that the only thing that would help her would be an IV. Easier said than done! After four attempts, the nurses were unable to get an IV started because of how dehydrated Charley was. As you can imagine, Charley was very traumatized by the whole event. Because they were unable to get an IV started, the doctor felt it was best to admit Charley to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around 2:00 pm on Wednesday. The doctor came in and said that because Charley had already been stuck four different times, he was willing to try two more times and if that didn't work, Charley would have to be given a feeding tube down her throat. Luckily, on the sixth try, a nurse was able to get an IV started. The bad thing was that the IV was put in her right arm, which is arm she needs access to in order to suck her thumb. This created a HUGE problem for Charley! She was very upset that the one thing that had always comforted her had all of a sudden been taken away. On top of all that, Ryan had been home all day sick with a stomach bug and I had to leave Charley at the hospital that night because I got sick as well. Luckily, Nana stepped in to help and stayed the night with Charley. We later found out that Charley did NOT have pneumonia, just a bad virus. Don't ask me how a misdiagnosis like that happens. Your guess is as good as ours!

The next morning Ryan and I were feeling better so we headed back up to the hospital to see our little girl. We were told by the doctor that if Charley could eat and drink a sufficient amount, she would be able to go home that evening. Unfortunately, Charley wasn't up to eating or drinking very much that day. So, her IV was put back in (thank goodness in her other arm with sucking thumb access)and fluids were started again. One of the only "good" parts about Charley's stay at the hospital is that she received some balloons (Elmo was her favorite) and a cute kitten from her best friend Zach. Thanks Zack, Hilary, and Kevin!

I stayed with Charley at the hospital last night and it was heart breaking to see such a little person laying in a hospital bed clearly unaware why she was there and why she continued to get tortured by evil hospital people (and believe me, some of them are truly evil). We were fortunate enough to return home today and Charley has been back to her old ways. There is just something about that dog food that she loves!

This whole experience really made me thankful for my life. I realized how lucky Ryan and I really were. There were children in the hospital dealing with far worse and I can only imagine what it must be like for their parents. I am also so thankful for grandparents!!! They really pulled through and were there at every moment needed. Charley is so lucky to be loved by so many. I am also a firm believer in the power of prayer and know that our prayers and the prayers of others were answered!

We love you Charley and are glad you're home!



The two pics above are of Charley's arm after the ER visit.


Looking up at Nana


Sad Face


Bum Arm....and no Thumb!



New IV with Thumb Access!


Wagon Ride down the Hall




Balloons from Zach


Finally at home with new kitty from Zach

2 comments:

Hilary said...

We are SO glad Miss Charley is home. I knew it was bad, but when I saw her in the hospital pictures I could not hold the tears back. Praise God that she is getting better and home. Zachary really misses his Charley. We are still praying for you. We love you Charley. HIL

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare!!! I'm glad she's feeling better and back in her new jammies:)